Because of COVID-19, brewers and distributors are currently facing a unique set of financial and operational challenges. Among these is the timely disposal of unsaleable beverages. Fortunately, EcoBev beer disposal can help.
As experts in the field, the EcoBev Team can advise you that not only does your beverage disposal plan have to be lawful and eco-friendly, but you must follow complex steps in order to reclaim valuable taxes and duties. This is especially important in the current fiscal year, when you will need those credits most.
Considerations to plan and execute a successful project
What decisions must be made? What resources and vendor relationships are required? Do you have the in-house resources to manage the project – or do you need to outsource? Where do you start?
Consider these aspects when planning and executing a successful beverage disposal project:
- Beer disposal projects require expertise from people who understand the legal and logistical nuances of a disposal project.
- Be up-to-date with municipal, county, state and federal regulations regarding proper disposal methods to avoid the risk of sanctions, fines and/or penalties.
- There needs to be an accurate assessment from your wholesaler network detailing product quantities, locations and package styles – cans, bottles or kegs.
- Do you have an existing network of disposal facilities – or will you need to start from scratch with our good friend Google?
- Not all disposal facilities are equal. Some facilities are certified to destroy product, while others are experts in transforming (re-purposing) products. Which process aligns with your corporate values?
- Do the vendors on your list have current legal certifications, project capacity and capabilities? Be wary that there are unethical opportunists who would be happy to take illegal advantage of people during a crisis recovery.
- Can the disposal vendor properly decant kegs? Most vendors are not set up to perform this service.
- Will your disposal facility vendor inform you of potential insurance, tax or duty reimbursements and then provide the appropriate documentation upon project completion?
- You will want to map vendor locations in relation to where the product is located so that you can prepare a strategic and efficient recovery plan.
- Be prepared to manage multiple vendor relationships from contract quotes though completion. Part of that vendor accountability should include security measures to protect your brand reputation while products are outside of your custody.
- There will need to be a storage contingency plan, should capacity constraints cause backlogs. This is common in crisis conditions. There are 1 million+ barrels of product that require proper disposal because of COVID-19. Where will your project fit into this?
The experts at EcoBev can help
Of course, with all of the recovery decisions you need to make right now, one of your better ones might be to let EcoBev manage the beverage disposal process for you. With our deep industry knowledge, nationwide network and scalable solution (from 1 to over 1,000,000 cases) we can manage your project both efficiently and professionally.
This is particularly important, especially if you are a brewer or distributor without dedicated in-house administrative resources for a project of this magnitude. Remember, EcoBev is here for you with a turnkey solution and a single, reliable point of contact.
Hillebrand’s EcoBev Team is standing by
Times are tough right now, but you’re not alone. The Hillebrand Keg Pros care deeply about this industry and you. Reach out any time if you have questions or requests. Let’s all get through this thing together.